We had a wonderful June meeting filled with fabulous news and inspiring talks!
Last month, Angie Fox spoke about How to Quietly Make Six Figures in Indie Publishing which brought out a ton of RWASD members, hungry for knowledge.
In her talk, Angie discussed how to make a good living and spend time doing what we love to do – writing. Being a “slower writer” she gave the low down on how you can be successful even if you’re not releasing a new book every 90 days.
- Writing Smart- Write what you love. Series books sell each other, and how novellas and boxed sets can drive up your sales.
- Marketing Smart – You don’t have to be everywhere or spend every dime on marketing. All you need is 20 minutes a day on Facebook or Twitter. And Newsletters will help drive your sales
- Career Structure – Decide who your are, don’t follow trends, and put a good team in place.
- And Future Planning – Indie publishing is always changing. Even if you don’t follow trends, you can use them to get noticed.
Angie lives by the 80/20 Rule: you get eighty percent of your results from about twenty percent of your effort. Make every effort count! Be smart about your time and energy behind your management strategies.
Next up was Lori James and Cassi Carver from All Romance eBooks giving us Tips From a Booksellers Perspective and How to Make Your Listing Sparkle. These ladies discussed ARe’s robust search engine and how important metadata is.
A few tips they left us with:
- Think hard about your key words
- Don’t undervalue your work. (an average 50k novel sells for about 4.99!)
- Test your book covers
- Think about the heat level of your story
Also instead of one, we named FOUR members of the month!
Tameri Etherton, Lisa Kessler, Cynthia Diamond, and Rick Ochocki were honored for all their hard work on May’s Love at the Library event.
And the best part of the meeting, Good News!
- Lisa Kessler’s Harvest Moon is a Finalist in the PRISM Dark Paranormal category. her new book Blue Moon came out on 6/27.
- Aleigha Siron was in the top 100 of Kindle’s Time Travel romances for an entire month.
- Rick Ochock won 4th place in WisRWA’s 25th annual FabFive’s contest with his book Out of the Fire.
- Cynthia Diamond is releasing her 3rd book in the Wyrd Love Series, Dyrad’s Vine on 7/7.
Remember, our next RWA meeting won’t be until August where we will have our after nationals potluck. Until then, have a great RWA Nationals conference and a fantastic month!